Friday, October 2, 2009

Golden Boy

Oooooh Golden Boy.

Everyday I hear this. David (15 years old), usually referred to as Diablo, is the one who created this name. We still cannot figure out where it came from. He claims that his brother Jimmy (18 years old) said Golden for some reason and then David said Golden Boy and then I said, "That's right! I am Golden Boy!"

And it is sticking.
People call me Golden Boy, Miguel, Miguelito, Miggy, Miguelon, or Grant Weldon.
It is amazing how close I am getting to everyone just after one month.
I am beginning to really start some serious projects, and I am constantly overwhelmed by the love I receive from my community.

What am I doing?
House visits,
English classes,
And futbol and softball.

House visits.
It is exactly what it sounds like. I walk around, I invite myself in, they tell me to come in, they make me sit down, they always ask if I want something to drink or eat, I never say no (ever), and then I ask what they think the youth in the community and the community in general need. Sometimes they get really detailed, sometimes they do not really know what they are supposed to say, and most times they just want any help that I can give. The other day I went to this house and this old man started talking to me about how important friendship between countries are and he said something so simple yet profoundly important for what I am doing. He said "La amistad es mas vale que dinero" which means friendship is worth more than money. Brilliant.

English classes.
On saturday I give two English classes, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I have only taught the classes for 2 saturdays, but I usually have anywhere from 20 to 40 students a class and they are really interested and learning quickly. I am also going to start up classes again in january and whenever I start those they will actually go for 5 months, every saturday, and if the students attend 75 percent of the class and pass a final exam they will receive a diploma with the Peace Corps logo and signatures from me and the mayor. Also we are going to take trips, do mini projects in the community, and of course learn english.

Futbol and Softball.
Every wednesday and sometimes on saturday I play futbol with this one group of guys. It is a great way to integrate and get to know them and hangout, but also I am trying to get a little better so maybe I can play on their team. This sunday I am actually starting up a softball team with girls, and guys if they show up, and I am going to buy some bases and I am very excited. I am going to be their coach and hopefully we will be able to play other teams, have tournaments, and dominate Central America!

Most importantly I am just constantly learning, talking, and listening.
I eat lots of pupusas, drink lots of coffee, and dearly miss Lite Bite, starbursts, and jolly ranchers.
If you want to send me a letter, photo, package, candy, or peanut butter then check your email and if I do not send you emails and you want me to then send me an email at grantweldon7@yahoo.com.

No comments: