Thursday, February 4, 2010

Be Part of The Solution

I just got my bookshelf!

I had Javier build me a bookshelf in October. He told me it would be a few months and I would have it. Javier is the local carpenter, he lived in Las Vegas for a few years working in a restaraunt, and he also learned carpentry.

Javier makes me laugh so much. I am late all the time, I lose track of it, and in a country like this one, that way of living makes most things a little easier and or less stressful. I did not think it would take Javier until February to get me the bookshelf. He makes me laugh because even after he had made it it took him weeks until he actually brought it over to my house. But asi es the life where I live. I would literally go to his house with the hopes of takign my bookshelf home, staring at it, hugging it, smelling it, and hoping he realized that I needed it. And every time he would just say "Yeah I'll bring it over later no worries." I knew that did not mean today, so I would sit down, talk about Las Vegas, carpentry, futbol, and girls.

Now that I have a bookshelf I feel like my house is a complete.
That is not to say that I have any of the conventional services of a complete house.

My house is a room.
I do not have:
a bathroom, toilet, water, or a fridge.

School has started back up and that means a few of my projects are going to start happening soon. One of my projects that I have had since I have been in my site has been with Stove Team International. It was created by a Peace Corps Volunteer and it is this really great company that provides ecological and economical stoves for salvadorans. They are really cheap, great quality, and good for the environment.

Also I am starting youth groups, art groups, and in general organizing people to just work together. I am really excited about a project that I will be starting really soon that will be a pen pal type of correspondence to my junior high alma mater. I am going to work with the spanish teacher their and have her kids write to my kids in spanish and then my kids will write back and talk about themselves, their family, and it is going to be a great way to share each others cultures.

This sunday is the super bowl.
I am going to root for the New Orleans Saints.
I am not from Louisiana, I have no family from there,
nor do I have any money riding on them winning this sunday.

I am going to be able to see the game too. I am going to come to the capital and watch it at a TGI Fridays. I am going to have a burger and beer and wear an american flag.

No comments: