Saturday, September 5, 2009

Peace Corps Volunteer

Yesterday I was sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer in El Salvador.
The ceremony was held at the Ambassadors Residence which had one of the most elegant bathrooms I have ever seen in my life.

We had 5 speakers, the Acting Country Director, the Ambassador, some other man whose title I forget, a trainee from our group named Eric, and the Vice President of the Republic of El Salvador, Salvador Sanchez. It was a very special and inspiring and ceremony. The Vice President was one of the commanders of the FMLN guerrilla group during the civil war, before they were a political party. Now he is Vice President and also the head of the Ministry of Education. His words were great. The importance of education, and even more so, the importance of educating the children. Truly incredible to see this man who 20 or 30 years ago did not really have the best opinion about the 33 of us, and stand and encourage us to really live in the pueblo, to help, and to educate.

And now I head to my site. For 2 years. Saying goodbye to the people I got to know for 2 months. The same people that feel like my brothers and sisters. And now to share the hope and peace and love that I honestly feel for these people, and help.

2 comments:

Jana said...

Good luck friend. Hope you have a magical 2 years.

Sara said...

What a wonderful and beautiful experience! I wish you the best of luck and know that you are missed here in the lovely town of Lubbock, TX :)